Thursday, September 15, 2011

Reading my Calendar and a History Lesson

My calendar here tells me that fall (autumn for all you stuck-up prissy pants) officially begins next week, September 23rd according to what I can read.  Now, despite a sweaty commute (yum!) this morning (for which I thank the red line for pumping some type of humidity machine into the subway system) you'd think I'd be ready for change in weather, right?  Well, yes, I am (this isn't the god damn weather blog!), but that doesn't mean you can trust my reading skills with a calendar.

Not too fast though! My calendar still deserves the big middle finger.  Why you ask? Because who needs to know random holidays, like that today is Declaration of Independence Day in Mexico?  Should I not schedule a big meeting today or should I bring tacos for lunch (ok, that was a little racist, sorry) beacuse Spain got kicked out of Mexico?  But then tomorrow is actually Mexican Independence Day (not just a declaration, for realsies)!  Sounds like Mexico is doing a little freedom pregaming today for their big day tomorrow!  Imagine if July 3rd was pre-Independence Day for America (extra holiday that kinda already exists but isn't on the calendar)?

Anyways, my calendar tells me all types of holidays and crap that just distracts me from more important things (like the rest of the internet!).  So to celebrate the last technical week of summer and prove to my calendar I know more than it does, I drew upon my history to degree and used my reliable companion, the wikipedia machine, to give you:


This (next few days)/Week in History, According to Nick (with help from wikipedia)!

  • On September 16, 1776, during the Revolutionary War, in the Battle of Harlem Heights, the Red Coats drove the hipsters out of Harlem and into Brooklyn, where they had been in hiding until Jackie Robinson freed them in 1947.
  • On September 17, 1809, Sweden and Russia made peace, ending the Finnish War. Why anyone would fight over Finland is beyond me...
  • Also on September 17, but in 480 BC, the documentary 300 was filmed at Thermopylae.  Unfortunately, Gerard Butler has yet to share his time machine with the rest of us.
  • On September 18, 1838, the Anti-Corn Law League was established in England.  Corn racism?
  • On September 19, 1959, Nikita Khrushchev was barred from visiting Disneyland.   SUCK IT USSR, no splash mountain for you! 
  • On September 20, 1848, the American Association for the Advancement of Science was created by 87 nerds.
  • On September 21, 1776, part of New York City was burned after being occupied by the Red Coats.  Unfortunately, the hipsters were not burned.
  • On September 22, 1692, the last people were executed for witchcraft in British North American colonies.  Apparently they crushed, hung, and drowned some people they thought were witches (waterboarding would've worked better) aka murder.  Nonetheless, according to my research they failed to drown Harry Potter, good job witch hunters!


Random other things:

  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is on tonight, try not to pee yourself?
  • rumor has it a soda machine has been purchased in our apartment, hopefully it will last longer than one week (protein soda is not/maybe a good idea!)
  • I go to NYC in a week? This is where I "do" NYC and by "do" I mean try not to embarrass myself at Citi Field and other fine establishments
  • Wake Forest, #25 university in the country (according to US News?)
  • Bear News: Apparently people in Montana/Rocky Mountains are not getting along with the local Grizzlies, and need to learn to share?  There won't be much to share if the bears ever get guns...

2 comments:

  1. Adding to your calendar:
    September 16, 19**: Sandy Hubbard (otherwise known as Alex's mama) was born. I'm pretty sure she doesn't want me publishing her birth year all over the interwebz.
    September 17, 2008: Emma Paige (otherwise known as Alex's niece) was born.

    Soda machine? Does this mean Somerville apartment-warming romp is coming up? Inquiring minds want to know.

    Boom shaka laka.

    ReplyDelete