Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Holiday Seasonal Things and, of course, BEARS

It's that time of year again, public places, notably the area surrounding my office, are littered with the lights, the decorations, and the trees.  Welcome to December in Boston.  If its gonna get dark before 5 then why not just put lights up everywhere? It works for me.  Due to my fascination with lists and whatnot, here are Things that may or may not work for me during the holiday season (I'll let you guess which way I feel about them) *Disclaimer*I'm about to try to use a lot of Hebrew/Jewish words, most of which, neither I or my computer's spell check has the ability to spell correctly.  So, please no throwing of the menorahs (or shmuti's Craig!)... :
  • going to the park at lunch to watch people fall on their ass while ice skating at Frog Pond
  • carolers (who the f is Carol anyways?) essentially blocking off a busy city sidewalk, so I have to cross the street if I want to keep walking and not stop when its cold
  • too many ugly sweater parties, not enough high stakes dreidle tournaments
  • glitter glue
  • glitter gluing the mail
  • Harry Potter passed off a "Christmas" movie (why hasn't ABC Family produced some type of Chanukah themed Air Bud movie yet?)
  • Holiday-Work parties involving breakfast meats
This week's movie review: 2012- I saw this movie on the random movie channel we get that's not cable, but not fancy premium cable (i.e.-HBO) so I didn't have much invested in watching.  This movie had two things to keep me watching, the obvious premise of an apocalypse movie where the human race gets wiped out and the subsequent special effects of said human race being wiped out.  Jesse and I spent wasted the first three-quarters on a hour betting on "_% of the population dying in the next 15 minutes of this movie" bets, until we realized this movie was developing much slower than expected and Jesse went to bed.  Alone, I was left with the dilemma of following John Cusack on his quest to survive or finding something better to watch (like Kung Fu Panda, one of the finest works of art of our generation).  I sat through multiple dramatic plane take-offs with the world blowing up behind the plane and other apocalyptic special effects (tidal waves, volcanoes, Danny Glover, earthquakes...) all because I just had to find out how the f-ing thing ends!  Well 165 minutes later, I found out, and what did I learn?-Jesse spent his time better I did.  Rating= 1/2 claps and a giggle for all the explosions and a "I've worked toooooo hard!" for everything else.

Sports Talk!: The NBA is back (cricket...cricket...).  I find myself shockingly interested in all the transactions going on, should I be embarrassed?  If lock-outs (like the NFL had last summer, and the NBA now) mean 2 weeks of free agency/trade pandemonium, I kinda like it.  I'd like to bid farewell to Big Baby, who has left the Celtics, I will miss your ability to take charges, cry on the bench, and make Bobby feel all warm inside.  I don't have a clue about making any predictions (other than the NBA having another lock-out within two decades) but let's remember, nobody tries until the playoffs anyways.  

Crazy Land Lady update:  Not to jinx anything but she is supposed to leave for London this month, which means we might be able to throw an actual house warming party soon (does 7 months late make it a house cooling party?)

This week in Bear News: A "rogue black bear" caught a ride into Vancouver on top of a garbage truck.  Great, the bears are learning how to commute, just hide in the dumpster and then pop out later in the city so you can just eat oodles of people.  (Also, good job Vancouver, why don't you just bus in some bears to bolster the Occupy movements, maybe have another riot?)

No comments:

Post a Comment